Afesis-corplan is one of only a handful of organisations that has been involved in the development and promotion of housing co-operatives in South Africa. From 1998 to 2008, with the support of the Swedish Co-operative Centre, we conceptualised, planned, demonstrated and advocated for housing cooperatives. Afesis-corplan, working closely with the East London Housing Management Co-operative, the Buffalo City Municipality, the Provincial Department of Housing and others developed one of the few housing co-operatives projects in South Africa (in Amalinda, a suburb of East London) that combines government’s Institutional subsidies with the Peoples’ Housing Process. For more information on housing co-operatives and Afesis-corplan’s housing cooperative experience see the following:
1. Co-operative Housing Comic. (Warning: 20mb download)
2. Housing Co-operatives: lessons emerging
3. Housing Co-operatives: Lessons Learned (July 2008)
4. Co-operative Housing Handbook.
5. Co-operative Housing Guidelines
6. Co-operative Housing Land Access.
7. Co-operative Housing Finance.
8. Contracting_for Housing Cooperatives and Contracting for housing cooperatives (annexures)
9. Financial Sustainability for Housing Co-operatives