Buffalo City Upgrading Informal Settlement Strategy
The Upgrading of Informal Settlements Policy and Strategy for Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality (BCMM) was approved by the BCMM council in 2015.
For more information on this policy contact the Buffalo City Municipality Planning department.
The following information relating to the BCMM Upgrading of Informal Settlements Policy and Strategy is available for download:
- executive summary
- a video summarising the Upgrading Policy and Strategy
- Main report for the BCMM Upgrading of Informal Settlement Policy and Strategy
- annexures to the draft BCMM Upgrading of Informal Settlements Policy and Strategy
Example of draft informal settlement upgrading plan
The upgrading plan for Phola Park informal settlement in Scenery Park in East London, is one of 32 examples of upgrading plans for informal settlements in Buffalo City.
The following annexures are available for this Phola park Upgrading plan:
- Annexure 1: Existing situation map
- Annexure 2: Proposed upgrading approach map
- Annexure 3: Proposed interventions map
- Annexure 4: Transect walk photo plate
Contact the Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality planning department for copies of similar plans for all 32 informal settlements as listed in the summary table of 32 informal settlements.
Socio-economic survey report
A base line socio-economic survey report – 2014 was developed based on a 10 % survey sample of households living in the 32 informal settlements that were part of the planning exercise.
Close out report
A final close out report for the project, including an valuation of the project can be found here.
Human Interest Case Studies
A set of six Human Interest Case Studies were produced in 2014, showing a snap shot in time of the life of a person living on an informal settlement. Click here to read these case studies.
Executive Summary of Policy and Strategy
Experiences from the Upgrading of Informal settlements in the Buffalo City Municipality
- How Participatory Planning and Monitoring Drives Meaningful participation in Democratic Spaces: Experiences from the Upgrading of Informal Settlements in the Buffalo City Municipality
Motivating for implementing the Upgrading plans
- Advancing the Upgrading of Informal Settlement Upgrading in Buffalo City Metro (a presentation given to BCMM human settlement department in August 2018).
Is there renewed commitment to the upgrading of informal settlements?
National treasury in its budget vote speech of February 2019 stated that “[f]unding totalling R14.7 billion over the two outer years has been reprioritised to two new conditional grants for informal settlements upgrading which will enable these households to have access to basic amenities.”
According to the Division of Revenue Bill, 2019 (page 225), R163 million has been ring-fenced from the Urban Settlements Development Grant in the 2019/20 period for Upgrading of Informal Settlements in Buffalo City Metro. See article on renewed commitment to upgrading informal settlements for more on on how government plans to support the upgrading of informal settlements. Hopefully, this means that the upgrading plans approved by BCMM council in November 2015 will now finally be fully implemented.
Use the following address for a shorter URL of this webpage http://goo.gl/jshlMZ
Video: Upgrading of Informal Settlement Policy and Strategy