[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding_top=”” padding_right=”” padding_bottom=”” padding_left=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none” last=”no” hover_type=”none” link=”” border_position=”all”][fusion_text columns=”” column_min_width=”” column_spacing=”” rule_style=”default” rule_size=”” rule_color=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” id=””]
The Spatial Planning and Land Use Management Act (SPLUMA) 16 of 2013
Introduction and Background to SPLUMA
- Read the SPLUMA information booklet produced by Afesis-corplan to get a brief overview of what SPLUMA is all about.
- Also read the 2 page Background Briefing document on SPLUMA (from September 2015) to get an idea of how SPLUMA will be changing the way that planning happens across the country.See here for a Xhosa translation of the SPLUM background document.
- You can also see a presentation summarising SPLUMA that was prepared by Afesis-corplan in November 2015 here.
- See Informal Settlements and SPLUMA: what prospects for upgrading? for presentation by SERI on SPLUMA in October 2015
- See SPLUMA – where does it come from and what does it mean? by Stephen Berrisford in October 2015
- Spatial Planning and Land Use Management Act no.16 2013 (SPLUMA)
- SPLUMA in booklet form
- SPLUMA regulations
- SPLUMA commencement date notice, 1 July 2015
- Municipal Systems Act no.32 of 2000 section 26 requires SDF to be part of IDP.
- Local Government: Municipal Planning and Performance Management Regulations, 2001 Regulations dealing with Spatial Development Framework (SDF) plans as part of the IDP, including how the IDP (and by association the SDF) gets emended. (sections 2 and 3)
- Guidelines for the Development of Municipal Spatial Development Frameworks
- Intergovernmental Relations Framework Act no 12 2005 outlines procedures for dealing with disputes between government spheres and departments.
- Executive Summary of Green Paper: Spatial Planning and Land Use Management in the Eastern Cape, January 2016
- Green Paper: Spatial Planning and Land Use Management in the Eastern Cape, January 2016. This version of the Green Paper still has to be formally approved by the MEC (Member of the Executive Committee) for Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs in the Eastern Cape. Short URL http://goo.gl/ORfmpO
- Eastern Cape Green Paper on SPLUM: Analysis, Synthesis & Policy Framework, September 2015 English presentation or Xhosa presentation
- Green Paper on Eastern Cape Provincial Spatial Planning and Land Use Management System PHASE 2 full report: Analysis, Synthesis & Policy Framework, May 2015. For more information on this green paper see more information on green paper.
- Web portal for the Eastern Cape Provincial Spatial Development Plan. This site contains a copy of the Eastern Cape Provincial Spatial Development Plan as well as numerous other sector and municipal plans.
- Western Cape Land Use Planning Act (LUPA). And visit a the spatial planning site for Western Cape.
- List of status of municipal by-laws in Eastern Cape (August 2016)
- Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality SPLUM By-Law– Gazetted 18 July 2016 (see pages 15 – 121 of this gazette)
- Copy of Sakhisizwe Local Municipality Spatial Planning and Land Use Management By-law
- Copy of Great Kei Municipality Spatial Planning and Land Use Management By-Law
SPLUMA Training and workshop reports
- Report from SPLUMA Training Seminar held on 21 October 2015 in East London for NGOs in the Eastern Cape.
- Reports from SPLUMA task team workshop held on 24 February 2016.
Eastern Cape SPLUMA policy submission
Civil society organisations in the Eastern Cape (EC) province submitted (on 21 July 2016) a SPLUM policy petition to the Eastern Cape Department of Cooperative Government and Traditional Affairs (CoGTA) motivating for various issues to be incorporated into future provincial SPLUM policy and legislation. To find out more about this submission see here.
SPLUMA and rural development
- For analysis of SPLUMA and its effect in areas under customary and communal administration see Custom Contested, views and voices from the Centre for Law and Society (CLS), and also see the opinion piece from Business Day on Choosing Chiefs Over People.
- KwaZulu-Natal Planning and Development commission (2010) Toolkit for Spatial Planning in Rural KwaZula Natal Communities. This report looks at isiZulu terminology for rural land use management.
- Ndabakazi case study report on spatial planning and land use management in the Ndabakazi area outside Butterworth in the Mnquma Local Municipality, under the Amahlubi traditional leadership structures.
Also find links to SPLUMA and its associated legislation and regulations at Centre for Environmental Rights (CER)
If you want to direct anyone to this webpage you can also use this shortened web link http://goo.gl/MYV5Ht