Afesis-corplan has made three submissions to Committee 2 on land reform of Parliaments High Level Panel on Key Legislation.
- Submission 1 and 2 on Communal Land Administration and Managed Land Settlement was submitted on 10 August 2016. Click here for short power point presentation of this submission made on 16 August 2016.
- Submission 3 on Land Acquisition and Development 19 August 2016
In these submissions Afesis-corplan calls for government to:
- 1) establish a land records system to complement the existing land registration system so as to accommodate more ‘social’ forms of tenure found in incremental settlement areas and communal land areas;
- 2) promote and facilitate managed land settlement where homeless are able to settle on land in an organised manner.
- 3) require municipalities to develop a land acquisition and development strategy as part of their Spatial Development Framework; create a dedicated fund for land acquisition and development; and increase the budget allocation for land acquisition and development
The committee aims to submit its final report to parliament in mid 2017 making recommendations as to how legislation can be improved so as to address 1) poverty, inequality and unemployment, 2) land reform, and 3) social cohesion.
UPDATE: The High Level Panel submitted its final report to Parliament in November 2017. See Afesis-corplan’s response to the land issues of this report here and Afesis-corplan’s response to the public participation issues of the report here.
Leave A Comment